Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My introduction to Carb Nite

  A great friend of mine, Tom, visited this weekend with his wife. For our first dinner I made grilled chicken, roasted broccoli and baked potatoes because Tom is typically a big and healthy eater. Much to my surprise he stayed away from the potatoes but added what could only be considered a small mountain of butter and cheese to his broccoli. I was confused and this started our conversation on Keto diets and the Carb Nite Solution more specifically.
  He started to explain to me the concept of depleting your body's carbohydrate stores, and then forcing your body to eat the fat cells. This was the reason he was adding ingredients with rather high fat levels to his meal. He continued to say he eats a large amount of protein and fat with every meal. The protein is to help keep your muscles strong and the fat to give you energy. Fast forward 6 hours worth of car rides and countless times being asked to talk about something else by our wives I was mentally hooked.
  Yesterday, Monday 6/16/2014, I decided it was time to start my first day of the 10 day introduction period in the Carb Nite. I definitely felt a little weird at first. I was almost anxious to start eating for fear of screwing up. Eventually, I had 3 over easy eggs, with cheese and sliced turkey on top. Oh, and a heaping portion of Chipotle Tabasco (0 carbs and I couldn't be happier about it.) After the meal, I was full, and content. Which was a strange feeling for me after eating something that is considered a good meal on this diet.
  For dinner I ate a NY strip steak, with wilted spinach and sugar snap peas. All of which was topped with garlic butter (I have to get those fats in, you know). Again, completely satisfied. Don't get me wrong, I really could've gone for a slice of bread to soak up all of the butter and steak juice on my plate, but I resisted.
  Later that evening, while playing a rousing game of Magic the Gathering with our wizard hats on and the skyrim music playing in the background, I ended up eating 4-5 hard boilded eggs. This was arguably my favorite part of the day because I got to keep eating and I didn't feel bad. I actually felt accomplished because I hit my macro levels of protein and fat for the day and stayed under the 30 grams of crabs that I was supposed to.
  All in all, day one was a success. I'm not expecting to see any weight loss yet, but I stuck to the plan and felt good about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment