Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Day 2



  I woke up yesterday to my, soon to be 4 year old, son barreling into my bedroom and handing me his mother's phone. Now, I have no idea where he got the phone because my wife always sleeps with it next to the bed. When I rolled over to give her the phone and ask questions I noticed she was already up and moving. Normally my son does not come into our room, and normally my wife does not get up early. It was just a strange way to start the morning. Let's just blame it on the carbs and keep moving.
  I wasn't really hungry when I woke up, which is not unusual, so I grabbed a cup of coffee and packed up my work stuff. Tom and his wife were still in town, so I didn't make lunch and planned to meet everyone at the Peruvian chicken place near my office. I felt normal, for the most part; I was just missing my ritualistic, satisfying, and beloved Diet Coke on the commute in. For the past 4-5 years I had one every morning on the way in. Granted there are no carbs in it, but from what I read the aspartame will spike my insulin levels basically defeating my efforts. I think this is going to prove to be one of the hardest things for me to give up. 
  Lunch ended up being great. I had two quarters of some of the most scrumptious rotisserie cooked chicken around with a great side salad that had a smoked ranch dressing (it might not be smoked, but I there is just something different and amazing about this dressing). There were only a couple of carbs from the dressing and the odd slice of tomato and onion in the salad.
  I snagged some "keto" groceries on the way home. 5 dozen eggs, sausage, bacon, cauliflower, broccoli, Caesar dressing (with 11 grams of polyunsaturated fat and 1 carb per serving, this is like a keto gold mine), and a few other things. It was such a great shopping experience because there are so many things that fit into this diet. I just looked for the sale, or moderately priced stuff, and came home with a haul. 
  Dinner ended up being beef taco meat over a bed of spinach and mixed baby greens topped with ranch dressing, Parmesan cheese, two hard boiled eggs, sour cream and the omnipresent chipotle Tabasco (see picture below). 

Taco Salad
  I had another egg a little later in the evening as a snack, and a cup of coffee with some heavy whipping cream (seriously try this if you don't have another snack handy). This ended my second day on the Carb Nite Solution. Met my macros, felt satisfied, and really only craved some Diet Coke. I'm sure more cravings will hit me tomorrow, but so far, so good.

  OH, for and my daily nerd time - I ended up setting up a new Minecraft server. A couple of friends and I are getting tired of waiting for it to come out on the PS4, so I decided to set up a PC server for us. Now I just have to get them to stop calling me names for playing a PC game.

1 comment:

  1. Bulletproof coffee is an excellent morning drink. It will provide a lot of fat and energy, without breaking your fast from sleeping. I just put coconut oil, heavy whipping cream, and a small amount of why protein in mine. It is definitely NOT coconut-y and fairly creamy. Sometimes I add vanilla and cinnamon if I feel like it.
    Keep it up, brah!

    ReplyDelete